During the Spring of 2015, the Vermont legislature passed and Governor Shumlin signed Act 46 which will directly impact the budget process this school year. Act 46 has some very distinct goals associated with it. They are:
Goals of Act 46
Act 46 is designed to encourage and support local decisions and actions that:
- - Provide substantial equity in the quality and variety of educational opportunities statewide;
- -Lead students to achieve or exceed the Stateâ€™s Education Quality Standards, adopted as rules by the State Board of Education at the direction of the General Assembly;
- - Maximize operational efficiencies through increased flexibility to manage, share, and transfer resources, with a goal of increasing the district-level ratio of students to full-time equivalent staff;
- -Promote transparency and accountability; and
- - Are delivered at a cost that parents, voters, and taxpayers value.
The Legislature intends all school boards will attend to these goals, while acknowledging that the means to achieve these goals will vary, depending on the particular circumstances of different districts.
For more information you can use the link below that connects you with the Vermont Agency of Education site that has all the relevant information on Act 46.
In the coming weeks we will provide additional articles that will inform the public on how Act 46 directly impacts the Colchester School Districtâ€™s budget process this year and into the future.